Fourteen facts you need to know about Tulsa before tonight’s match-up against Marshall.
1) Tulsa’s offense is powered by one man, running back Trey Watts. Last season against Marshall, Watts carried the ball 18 times for 111 yards in a 45-38 Golden Hurricane victory. This year he leads the team in rushing and receiving. On the ground Watts has amassed 857 rushing yards on 178 attempts with six touchdowns. Through the air he has caught a team high 41 passes for 370 yards and a touchdown. Conference USA’s individual leader in total yards, Watts also returns kicks and punts for Tulsa.
2) Tulsa will start redshirt freshman quarterback Dane Evans against Marshall. In five games Evans has completed 50 of 110 attempts for 541 yards, three touchdowns, and six interceptions. He is not a running threat.
3) Right guard Steston Burnett is Tulsa’s most experienced offensive lineman with 39 career starts. The preseason All C-USA First Team selection will likely miss tonight’s game with a ankle injury.
4) The Golden Hurricanes offensive line has done a good job keeping their quarterbacks jersey clean. Tulsa is surrendering a C-USA low 0.78 sacks per game.
5) Wide receiver Jordan James leads the Golden Hurricanes with 390 receiving yards. He had a quite Saturday against ECU last week, only catching two passes for 17 yards.
6) Tulsa’s C-USA rankings on offense:
Passing Yard Per Game – 7th, 211.3 ypg
Rushing Yards Per Game – 9th, 158.11 ypg
Total Offense – 9th, 369.4 ypg
7) Tulsa lost its defensive leader, strong safety Demarco Nelson, to an academic issue just before the season started. Nelson’s absence and the injury bug, at least nine starters have missed a game, heavily contributed to the Golden Hurricanes 2-7 record.
8) Linebacker Shawn Jackson leads C-USA with 13 tackles for loss. He has also recorded a team high three interceptions.
9) Safety Michael Mudoh leads Tulsa with 98 tackles.
10) Derrick Alexander has recorded a team high 5.5 sacks. The defensive end is also second on the team with 6.5 tackles for loss.
11) Tulsa’s C-USA Defensive Rankings:
Passing Defense – 4th, 216 ypg
Rushing Defense - 9th, 190.78 ypg
Total Defense – 9th, 406.8 ypg
12) Tulsa’s biggest problem has been turnovers. They have given the ball away 26 times this season.
13) Golden Hurricane kicker Carl Salazar has converted 12 of 15 field goal attempts this season but, he has not attempted a field goal beyond 40 yards.
14) Freshman punter Dalton Parks does not have a big leg. His 39.95 yards per punt ranks him 10th among 12 C-USA punters that have at least 35 attempts.