Tuesday, March 1, 2011

NFL Draft: Interview with Ohio Safety Donovan Fletcher

First and foremost let me assure you this is still the Marshall Thundering Blog. Our focus will always be Marshall athletics but it is fun to step out of the box now and then.

Any way, through a mutual acquaintance I was able to interview former Ohio University safety Donovan Fletcher. Much like Marshall’s Mario Harvey and Lee Smith, Fletcher is preparing for the NFL Draft.

A Youngstown Ohio native Fletcher spent four years at Ohio as a reserve before busting onto the season this past season. Fletcher was voted a team captain in 2010 and started 12 of 13 games at safety. In those thirteen games Fletcher lead Ohio with five interceptions and 40 solo tackles. Two of Fletchers interceptions were thrown by Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. His impressive senior season earned Fletcher an all MAC second team selection.

The brother of St. Louis Rams defensive back Bradley Fletcher, Donovan has the bloodlines to succeed in the NFL. During private workouts Fletcher has record a 4.40 forty yard dash and 39 inch vertical leap.

Read my interview with Fletcher below. He has some interesting comments on his games against Marshall:

MTB: Tell us a little about yourself, how did you end up at Ohio University?

DF: From what I remember I got an offer roughly around basketball season/ right after the football season was over....On one of the weekends before signing day I made the visit out to Ohio University in the winter. Went through the normal routine of seeing the campus. Michael Mitchell was my host and he showed me around the people who ended up being my future teammates.


MTB: You played Marshall twice in a 10 month period. Can you provide a little insight to the Herd as an opposing player? How different were both games with Marshall’s coaching change?

DF: Both times we played them they started and ended the game on a physical level. The only difference was that one game was a bowl game and the other game was a regular season one.

MTB: What are you doing to prepare for the NFL draft?

DF: Training at ETS in Minnesota (Englebert Training Systems) Primarily working on all the techniques that comes with the drills of pro day held in March. I'm also following a strict diet that was prepared for me when I got here. Unfortunately McDonalds and Wendy’s was not on the list but I am feeling healthier then ever.

MTB: How has having a brother (St. Louis DB Bradley Fletcher) in the NFL helped you prepare for professional football?

DF: Having a brother in the NFL provided me with an extra insight to where hard work can lead someone. I was able to see him develop as a football player from his days in little league football to his current days with the Rams. His work ethic is one of the main things that I took from his career that I add towards mine.

MTB: You played behind a few talented safeties (Mike Mitchell, 2009 4th round pick by Oakland) before your senior year. How hard was it waiting for your chance to start at Ohio?

DF: The good part of playing behind talented safeties like Mike was what I learned from them. From watching film after film to applying what was learned in the film room to the field. Knowing the opportunities that I got to just be a part of a colligate program was a good experience for me. All I could do was handle what was in my control, which was to continue to work hard in the weight room and practice field, and continue to carry myself like a starter. Fortunately the opportunity came for me to start and play a significant amount and I did all I could to take advantage of the situation.

MTB: You picked off Ohio State quarterback Terelle Pryor twice last season, tell us about those plays.

DF: The defensive plays that were called both times placed me in position to make a play on the ball. Once the play was called and the ball was in the air, reacting to the play was all I could do after and both times Ohio University mangaged to come up with the turnovers.

MTB: During your time at Ohio you played a number of games against BCS schools. How would you describe the talent level between MAC and BCS programs you faced?

DF: Every team I played had fast speedy receivers, some faster then others, tall big strong lineman, some bigger and stronger than others and a talented coaching staff, some more talented then others. I've watched just as much film on offensive led teams by QB's like Dan Lefevour that I did on offensive teams led by QB's like Terelle Pryor. I'll leave the detailed comparing of BCS vs MAC programs to the commentators on ESPN.

MTB: How would you describe your game at safety? Do you like to play center field and provide coverage or do you prefer to play closer to the line?

DF: My main preference would be to change it up as much as the defensive coordinator can provide to keep the offense guessing. It feels comfortable to have 10 plus yards in a deep middle position just like it feels good to be man on a slot receiver. But there definitely isn’t any other feeling like being down in the box with pulling guards and other 330 pound lineman trying to pancake you. Football is a sport that gives adrenaline beyond measure. No matter where I'm at on the field I am feeling the love for the game.

MTB: What is the one thing you want NFL scouts to know about you?

DF: Well... Beyond how fast I can run, how high I can jump, or even how many bench reps I can get on pro day. I feel it boils down to three factors for them when looking for a player to add to their roster. The three main qualities being.... can this prospect do the work we intend for him to do at our program.... Will he provide the same motor and drive to play the game with passion each and every time he touches the field,... and will the program/franchise enjoy having him be a part of what their trying to build. I can answer yes to all three questions without a shadow of a doubt.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article. Although Mitchell was a 2nd-round pick by Oakland. Not 4th round.

    ReplyDelete