Marshall head football coach Doc Holliday released his first depth chart of 2013 ahead of Saturday's game against Miami (Ohio). While it did not answer every question, today's announcement provided incite into what personnel the Thundering Herd plans to use this season.
You can find the full depth chart by clicking here, it starts on page 12. We have added are own notes below.
1) At X-wide receiver sophomore Davonte Allen and senior Devon Smith are both listed as potential starters. Craig Wilkins will start at the Z position. His backup is true freshman Justin Hunt who figures to burn his redshirt. As expected Tommy Shuler will man his position in the slot.
2) From left to right Marshall's offensive line:
LT - Gagne Niemeyer
LG - Sebastian Johannson or Josh Lovell
C- Chris Jasperse or Michael Selby*
RG - Alex Schooler
RT - Garrett Scott
* Recovering from concussion related symptoms, sophomore center Cameron Dees was not listed on the depth chart. Dees was a All Freshman C-USA selection in 2012. Despite not being listed, Holliday expects Dees to be cleared for contact before Saturday. It also looks like Michael Selby will play as a true freshman.
3) Eric Frohnaphel and Devon Johnson are listed as co-backup tight ends. Gator Hoskins is your starter.
4) Essray Taliaferro maintained his August long hold on the starting running back job although, Kevin Grooms is a co-starter.
5) Defensive ends Jeremiah Taylor, Ra'Shawde Myers, and Alex Bazzie are all listed as co-starters.
6) Clemson transfer Josh Brown is not among the two deep at nose tackle or defensive tackle. The four co-starters at those positions are Brandon Sparrow, Jarquez Samuel, Steve Dillon, and James Rouse.
7) In there nickle package, Jermaine Holmes (middle) and Evan McKelvey (weak side) will man the linebacker positions. Junior college transfer Neville Hewitt is listed as McKelvey's co-starter. In three linebacker sets Raheem Waiters is listed at the strong side position.
8) Three corners, Monterius Lovett, Derrick Thomas, and Darryl Roberts are co-starters for only two starting spots.
9) Starting safety's, D.J. Hunter (strong) and Taj Letman (free).
10) Freshman walk-on kicker Amoreto Curraj will serve as Marshall's kickoff specialist. Field goals and extra points are the domain of Justin Haig.
11) Kick returners - Butler, DeAndre Reaves, Grooms, or Taliaferro.
12) Punt returners - Smith or Shuler.