Wednesday, October 20, 2010

WVU AD Oliver Luck: “I do see value in playing Marshall"

The following passage comes for Jack Bogaczyk column in today’s Charleston Gazette, read the whole thing here: http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201010191290

When you're in this seat, you don't pass up an opportunity to ask the athletic director at both schools about the tenor of talks and potential for the continuation of the WVU-Marshall football series beyond the seven-year contract's games at Mountaineer Field in 2011 and 2012.

Luck said the state's two major programs will continue to play, but what form the series will take remains up in the air.

"There is value in us playing Marshall and it is a series that will continue," Luck said, "and that's probably about all I'm going to tell you, because I told (Marshall AD) Mike Hamrick that I wouldn't (negotiate in the media). I do see value in playing Marshall."

Luck admitted the Sept. 10 game in Huntington, won by WVU in overtime, was an eye-opening experience for him.

"I tell you what, it was very impressive, an impressive atmosphere, an excellent ballgame," the West Virginia AD said. "It was the only game that Friday night and my son (Stanford star QB Andrew Luck) said he came back from team meeting and he and all of his friends watched the game. So, it got a lot of attention.

"The TV ratings (2.55 on ESPN) were good, and that's good for sponsor, the Friends of Coal, good for both schools, good for the state. I do think there's some value in us playing. I was very impressed with game day atmosphere, for that one day, at the beginning of season, it was the sort of hotspot in college football.

"Beyond that on Marshall, I'm just not going to comment."

No comments:

Post a Comment