Monday, September 14, 2009

My Two Cents

I have done a good job these past three months keeping this blog news based, not an arena to run my mouth. After our Herds drubbing at Virginia Tech there seems to be a portion of the fan base that is very upset. There have been a lot of negative opinions thrown around various message boards, some even suggesting coach Mark Snyder being fired mid-season. Although I am not happy with the loss I think we need all need to take a step back and look forward to next week instead of dwelling on the past.

Before I go into my assessment of the past week and the week to follow I need to introduce my self. I grew up in northern Virginia and only became a Herd fan when I started to attend Marshall in 2003. During my four years on campus I fully emerged my self in Marshall athletics, attending every football game and most basketball games. After graduation I followed Marshall from afar in Arizona but now reside in D.C. The day after Mike Hamrick got named athletic director I became a Big Green member.

Any way, I was at the Virginia Tech game this past Saturday. Before game time I did not expect to win but was anticipating a good showing. Unfortunately as the game progressed it became clear it was not Marshall’s day. With the long drive home in front of us my fiancĂ© and I exited with a few minutes left in the third quarter. Although I was upset we got beat so badly I figure they were VT and we are Marshall, the Hokies just have a different class of athlete. Upon my arrival back in northern Virginia I turned my computer to herdnation.com and was surprised by the amount of angry fans. After reading a few post I started to understand my fellow fans anger, we simply did not come to play and got killed. What I could not understand is the irrational thinking that thinking that this season is lost. Let me present a few facts to put this loss in perspective.

Although former coach Bob Pruett lead Marshall to a victory over Kansas State he did have a few stinkers against BCS opponents including VT. During the 2002 football season Pruett took the Herd into Lane Stadium and lost 47 – 21. The year before Marshall visited Florida in Gainesville and got killed 49-14. No one is going to argue that the 2001 and 2002 versions of the Herd are worse than this years inception. Turning our attention back to VT we have not played a competitive game against them in a long time, in 2005 we lost 41 – 14. I think it is fair to say our expectations were a little high heading into Blacksburg. Seeing Tech struggle the week before gave me some passing thoughts of a Herd upset but reality set in quickly on game day. Virginia Tech has a different class of athlete. Watching the game live you could see how much faster they were. The closing speed of VT’s linebackers and corners was astonishing compared to last weeks opponent Southern Illinois. That’s not to say Marshall did not have there chances on Saturday. There were a few key plays that if Marshall would have hit we could be talking about a different outcome.

After Bembry’s huge end zone interception Marshall had a chance to take the momentum. Instead the Herd gained two yards on three plays and had to punt. On that possession QB Brian Anderson had Chuck Walker wide open twice but could not take advantage. On the Herds second down attempt Walker was streaking down midfield but Anderson’s pass was over his head. It appeared that Marshall ran the same play on third down but Walker could not haul in a Anderson pass near the fifty yard line. On Virginia Tech’s ensuing possession they scored on a 57 yard run and our fate was sealed. Two incomplete passes might not sound like a lot but when playing a opponent like VT you can not afford to miss your opportunities. Who knows what happens if we complete one of those passes. It would be full hearty to say we win but I think it is fair to say the outcome would have been a bit different.

Next week is a huge. As you might recall our last game against Bowling Green did not go well, the Herd got embarrassed 56 – 35 at BGSU in 2004. Bowling Green has played quality football under new coach Dave Clawson, beating Troy easily in week one and almost upsetting Missouri last Saturday. A win against Bowling Green proves Marshall is moving in the right direction. By the time we left the MAC after 2004 BGSU had a better football program. Something that seemed impossible when Marshall joined the league in 1997. If coach Snyder can get a win on Saturday it sets us up with momentum heading into conference play. A loss could kill moral and our season might tail spin.

Either way I don’t think last weeks loss makes or breaks our season. I am looking forward to visiting the Joan this Saturday and rooting the Herd onto victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment